What’s the deal with Telehealth (Virtual) Therapy?
Updated: May 18
***This post is not sponsored. The opinions and content of this blog are unique to the writer unless otherwise stated. No compensation is received for the links shared.
OT 4 ME is now offering telehealth (virtual) occupational services for clients in Florida! Never heard of telehealth? Let’s start with the basics. Telehealth is using online or electronic means of communicating with patients. This includes video sessions, phone calls, texting, and even recorded videos or education. Telehealth allows therapists to connect with their patients when they are not in person.
Many clients are initially nervous to switch from in person sessions to virtual sessions. But, these online sessions are actually an advantage to therapists! It allows us to work with you while you are in the comfort of your own home. In traditional outpatient settings, it is not uncommon for parents to sit in the waiting room while the OT works with the child in the treatment room or gym. The problem with this is that the parent doesn’t get to learn how to carryover these activities into their own environment. So, the child is not benefitting from therapy to their full potential.
While video chatting, we are able to see the furniture, resources, toys, and food you have in your own house. We then can design our sessions to better support what you have available in your home and coach you along the way. This gives occupational therapists the opportunity to make parents and children INDEPENDENT in carrying over activities.
OT 4 ME offers therapy sessions via video chatting on a secure, online platform. It is simple and easy to access. How this works with OT 4 ME:
· You will receive an email the day before your session. This email will contain any equipment you will need to prepare (like a pillow, pencils, tape) for the session. We may also send you resources to print out.
· You will also receive an email with a link to your secure video session.
· On the day of your therapy session, you will login through a Gmail account. If you don’t already have one, it is easy to create and is free.
· We complete therapy online! We’ll show you some techniques, play games to support your goals, and coach you through all the techniques.
Some examples of therapy sessions we can do:
- Obstacle courses
- Playing games that incorporate health
- Cooking sessions
- Yoga and meditation
- Grocery store planning
- Learning how to read food labels
- Using the resources in your house to improve coordination, strength, and balance.
Telehealth is an especially useful resource for working on lifestyle routines. Many children may feel stressed being in a new environment or exercising in front of others. It may also take them some time to open up to a new person. Virtual therapy allows them to be in a place that is comfortable with their own toys and family.
If you have already, you can download OT 4 ME’s FREE 7 Day Color-In Health Journal. It is designed to help kids start focusing on fruits, vegetables, water, and physical activity!
OT 4 ME is a South Florida Pediatric Therapy practice. We are here to help your child live their best life! Contact us today at (561) 223-1620.
OT 4 ME
PO Box 273965
Boca Raton, FL 33427