Weight's Impact on IADLS
Updated: Nov 13
***This post is not sponsored. The opinions and content of this blog are unique to the writer unless otherwise stated. No compensation is received for the links shared.
Welcome back to OT 4 ME! If you are new to our blog, OT 4 ME is an occupational therapy provider based in Florida. We offer in person appointments in South Florida, as well as Telehealth to the ENTIRE state of Florida. At OT 4 ME our focus is on making healthy FUN, so that kids can enjoy being a kid!
In today’s blog we are discussing the second category of occupations, Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs) and how they may be impacted by a child’s weight. Last week, we discuss our first category, Activities of Daily Living (ADLS). ADLS are the basic activities that we need to sustain life. For example, eating, dressing, and toileting. life If you missed that post, you can check it out here.
Instrumental Activities of Daily Living can be a bit harder to explain. These are the activities that help us manage our day-to-day lives. Just like ADLS, many of these can be disturbed by body weight. The examples below, are some of the IADLS kids do everyday.
· Caring for others such as pets and children: Children who struggle with weight may fatigue easily when playing with younger children or animals or taking dogs on walks. Additionally, decreased balance and strength can keep them from playing to their full ability.
· Communication management – Increased weight can impact the size of a child’s fingers and make it difficult to correctly push buttons on phones or computers.
· Driving and community mobility – Children who struggle with their weight may be uncomfortable with the size of chairs in the car, on the bus, or on airplanes. This may cause discomfort and pain. They may also have difficultly riding and balancing on a bicycle.
· Health management and Maintenance – THIS IS A MAIN AREA ADDRESSES BY OT 4 ME. Many children impacted by their weight have difficulty keeping up with their friends during physical activity. Many parents also feel that they have a hard time motivating their child to exercise or be active. They may also have difficulty encouraging children to eat healthy and avoid “risky” behaviors such as smoking.
· Home establishment and maintenance – Children may be out of breath or fatigue quickly when cleaning.
· Meal preparation – Children may be unsure of how to plan and prepare healthy meals.
· Religious and spiritual activities – Children may feel disconnected due to mental health or confidence.
· Safety – Children may be at risk for falls due to balance and weight.
· Shopping – Children may be unsure of how to read a food label or shop in the grocery store for right foods.
It can be very stressful for children if they are unable to complete these Instrumental activities of Daily Living.
If this sounds like your child, WE CAN HELP! All you need to do is reach out to us for a free discovery visit! During this 20-minute visit, we’ll have time to chat about your concerns and how OT 4 ME can help.
If you are ready to get started right away, give us a call at 561-223-1620 or email Samantha@theot4me.com. I’d be honored to work with your child!
1. American Occupational Therapy Association. (2014). Occupational therapy practice framework: Domain and process (3rd ed.). American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 68, S1–S48. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2014.682006
Disclaimer: The information provided by OT 4 ME (“we,” “us” or “our”) on theot4me.com (the “Site”) is for general informational purposes only. The Site cannot and does not contain medical advice. Any medical information is provided as my/our personal experiences is not a substitute for professional advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals. We do not provide any kind of medical advice. THE USE OR RELIANCE OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THIS SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. Although this blog contains external links WE DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OFFERED BY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES LINKED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE OR FEATURE LINKED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING.
OT 4 ME
PO Box 273965
Boca Raton, FL 33427